VACANCY FOR THE TEAM MANAGER TO THE ARMY SENIOR XV
1. Applications are invited for the post of Team Manager to the Army Senior XV.
2. The successful applicant will be expected to start on the 1st September 2013 and it is desirable that the successful applicant completes at least 2 seasons, which ends in Nov 2015, this will include the Defence World Cup.
3. Applicants should send their rugby CV by e-mail to Col Andy Deans MBE, Director of Senior Rugby – ; cc’d to Chris Fowke ARU Secretary – .
4. The closing date for applications is 1200hrs 28 June 2013. Applicants that don’t pass the CV sift will be contacted by e mail by Wed 3 July 2013. Applicants that pass the CV sift will be invited to an interview week commencing 15 July 2013 (location and times tbc). The interview will also seek evidence of previous managerial competencies.
5. The selection panel is provisionally planned to consist of Colonel Andy Deans MBE (Director of Senior Rugby (DoSR), Chris Fowke (ARU Secretary), SSgt Axel Rees (Senior XV Head Coach) and an observer.
6. The successful candidate will be notified after all the interviews have taken place. Unsuccessful candidates at interview will be informed after all the interviews have taken place.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE CRITERIA
7. The Applicants should have a good knowledge of Rugby Union and must be able to demonstrate the organ isational and management skills commensurate with such a position, combined with tact and diplomacy (the individual will be dealing with all ranks including Commanding Officers of players and Senior Officers). There are no mandated qualifications for this appointment; however competencies required for this job are as follows:
- Familiar with JSP 101 and military staff duties.
- Be computer literate (ECDL is desirable but not essential)
- Possess knowledge of accounting methods in both Service Funds and Equipment Care.
- Must be serving in the British Army with at least 2 years service remaining from 3 Sep 13, or be an MOD civil servant.
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR TEAM MANAGERS SENIOR TEAM
8. The Senior Team Manager will be responsible for all aspects of administration of the Senior Team. The manger will be responsible for all communication with players with regard to availability and selection (subject to the policy laid down). The Team Manager, in conjunction with the Coaching staff, will produce a costed plan for the season. Once the plan is endorsed and budgeted by the ARU Management Board the Team manager will be responsible for managing said budget.
9. Senior Team Manager responsibilities include:
- Manage & administer the Senior Team to the best of their skill and ability.
- Manage all off – field matters.
- Administer the coaching programme throughout the season.
- Manage a fitness and development programme for their respective Squad in conjunction with the Conditioning Coach prior to the commencement of and during the Season.
- Manage the Senior Team to standards designed to ensure that the Team and each member there of plays to its full potential and is well – organised and disciplined both and off the field.
- Attend such seminars and briefing sessions as may be arranged or organised by ARU from time to time.
- The Senior Team Manager and his other coaching/management staff will submit to regular/periodic coaching/management mentoring and appraisal programme conducted by appropriately professional and appropriately qualified staff.
- Produce a fully costed Activity Plan for the season.
- Ensure on and off field disciplinary issues are dealt with in accordance with ARU Disciplinary policy.
10. This prestigious position and contact with senior personalities in the Army must not be underestimated (although the Senior XV Head Coach and DoSR are available to assist if required). Consequently, the time commitment for this post is demanding for both work and personal time. You will also be required to do out of hours and weekend work. The dates of the 2014 fixtures and the annual training camp (planned for Portugal in 2014) are available from the ARU Office.
You will need to confirm in writing to honour the time commitment. You will also need to provide to the DoSR written agreement from your Chain of Command, after CV sift and prior to interview. DoSR will be discussing the commitment to this post with candidate’s Chain of Command. This post is unpaid although reasonable travel and subsistence costs will be met.