Community rugby is the grass-roots of rugby within the Army. It encompasses the following:
- The encouragement of ever wider participation (men and women) in the game.
- Organising and managing competitions.
- Developing players to enable them to play for the representative teams.
The Unit Rugby Officer has an important role to play in Community rugby.
Community Rugby Mission Statement
- Continue to develop the structured season and encourage ever wider participation (men and women) in local and Army-wide competitions.
- Develop a clear development path to Representative Rugby for every capable individual.
- Maintain a duty of care for players.
Community Rugby – Useful Links
- ARU Competitions – view details of all ARU Competitions.
- Representative Teams – details of all ARU Representative teams.
- Unit Rugby Officer – details about the role of Unit Rugby Officer.
Director of Community Rugby
Lieutenant Colonel JS Gunning (Jason)
Chairman of Corps Rugby
Lieutenant Colonel N P Andrew (Nick)
Secretary Corps Rugby
Captain R J Crane (Richie)
Chairman BA (G) Rugby
Colonel RI Harrison OBE (Ritson)
Chairman Premiership Rugby Rugby
Major JP Cook MBE (James)
Secretary Cup Competitions
Captain K Woods (Kathryn)
Secretary Rugby Committee
Mr C Fowke (Chris)
Download RFU’s Introduction to Rugby (pdf 2.8MB) – It provides a basic guide to the game of Rugby Union and should be useful for coaches, players and spectators who are new to the game.