Skip to main content

Harlequins kept a home Premier 15s semi-final in their own hands with another bonus point win this weekend over Worcester Warriors, with Capt Alexandra Eddie (QARANC) getting onto the scoresheet.

Although Quins would go on to record a 31-7 win, they had to come from behind to do so, Worcester grabbing an early interception try. But from then on it was one way traffic, with Capt Eddie getting the first of her team’s five tries from close range.

Sgt Jade Mullen (AGC (SPS)) started the game at full back, with prop Cpl Becky Wilson (RLC) coming off the bench to make her Harlequins debut in the second half.

The win consolidated Harlequins’ second place in the Premier 15s table with one round to go, but Wasps remain hot on their heels and will be ready to pounce should Quins slip up next weekend.

Wasps’ latest win came away at Gloucester-Hartpury, with SSgt Sarah Mitchelson (RLC) starting in the back row.

It was a close-fought encounter throughout, with both teams matching each other try for try. With the score tied going into the final 10 minutes it looked like whoever would score the final points would take the win. And so it proved, Wasps scoring the fourth try seven minutes from time which brought the bonus point and a 25-20 final score.

With Saracens safely in first and Loughborough too far away to trouble third, all eyes will be on the battle for second place and the chase for the all-important home tie.

Just two points separate Harlequins from Wasps, with the former travelling to DMP Durham Sharks and the latter hosting Bristol, with both fixtures on Saturday, May 8th.

Cpl Lewis Bean (Rifles) was also on the winning side this weekend as Bedford secured a maximum haul against Richmond at Goldington Road.

A nip-and-tuck first half was edged by the Blues, whose three tries saw them lead 17-10. A further three came unanswered after the break, and the 38-10 final score reflected an all-court performance that saw the tries shared between forwards and backs.

The final match to include an Army representative came in the south west, where Capt Gemma Rowland (Royal Artillery) came off the bench in Bristol’s Premier 15s home clash with DMP Durham Sharks.

Bristol got off to a promising start, scoring two tries to take a 12-3 lead inside the opening quarter. But the Sharks hit back with three unanswered tries of their own before half-time to lead 24-12, and they would maintain that lead throughout the second 35 minutes, Bristol eventually losing 17-34.

Words © Chris Wearmouth, Header and Featured Image © Neil Kennedy