RWF V WG 30 OCT 13 – Royal Welsh Regiment 29pts — Welsh Guards 16

The Royal Welsh and Welsh Guards fought each other to a standstill in the second round of the Army Premiership Cup at Tidworth. Big hearts and raw willpower failed to disguise the fact that both sides were under-prepared and minus a few of their better known players.

Sparring over, the Royal Welsh took a gamble on running their backs and were rewarded with three tries. Right wing Kurutba went over on 14 mins and followed that with a second on the half hour. In between Army hopeful Komaisavai (REME) who had been dominating the lines-out nipped in for a try; none of which were converted.

Morgan Evans Flies
Morgan Evans Flies

The Welsh Guards responded with two well struck penalties and at 15pts—6 they were far from out of contention. They scored try-for -try with the Royal Welsh in the second half and during a bizarre passage of play which dominated the closing stages, they were awarded 14 consecutive penalties inside the Royal Welsh ‘22’. The Guards went short, Army cap Steve George playing at No8 drove strongly and in a big engine performance also put it about in defence—not always to the referee’s taste.

Royal Welsh tackling remained steadfast and they closed out at 29pts—16. Scrum half Morgan Evans had a cracker knowing when to pass and when, with a bit of gas, a break might prove effective. His increasing maturity augers well for the Army U23 Inter Service contest in December.

Kurutba Scored a Brace
Kurutba Scored a Brace

This was a battle that neither side had had time to prepare for and a number of key personnel were on duty elsewhere. They will meet again in better times when we can expect equal enthusiasm with a lot more icing on the cake.

Check Also

A winner takes all showdown at a sell-out stadium for the Babcock Trophy and the Inter Services title ensured there was a real sense of expectation

Both sides arrived at Twickenham full of confidence having well beaten the Royal Air Force …