Skip to main content

The Army U23s played their final preparation match ahead of the Inter Service Championship next month v a talented Hampshire U20s team at Camberley RFC on Sunday afternoon.

The Army took an early lead through the boot of Fly-half and skipper for the match Spr Johnson, RE who converted an early penalty.  However it was the Hampshire side who dominated much of the territory and possession in the first half and their efforts were rewarded with two try’s in quick succession.  The Army penalty count was racking up and cost them building any momentum for the majority of the first forty minutes but they broke the Hampshire defence just before the break with a try from centre LCpl Raqio, R Signals.  Johnson converted to make it 10-10 going into the break.

Spr Johnson, RE was in good form with the boot, he has been dependable with his place kicking for the Army U23s throughout the season.

LCpl Raqio, R Signals playing in the centre rather than his usual position at Full Back crossed for the Army’s first try.

Images – Army Rugby Union © K Fowke

Re-grouping at half time the Army started the second half as they finished the first and took the lead through an early try from No 8 Fus Davison, RRF, successfully converted by Johnson.  Discipline issues continued to cause problems for the Reds and the referee’s patience wearing thin two players were sent to the bin in quick succession for repeated team infringements.  Hampshire capitalised on the advantage in numbers with their third try of the afternoon, a succesful conversion saw the scores once again level at 17-17.

The Army needed to respond and coming back to their full compliment of 15 players finished the match strongly.  Two successful penalties from Johnson kept the score board ticking over before a final converted try from replacement Hooker Spr Yousif-Romero, RE sealed victory for the Reds 30-17.

Our sincere thanks to Hampshire U20s for the fixture, an exceptionally skillful and talented side. For the Army U23s focus now fully turns to the opening match of the U23 Inter Service Championship v the defending Champions the Royal Navy U23s in Plymouth on the 10th November, KO 1900hrs.

Pte Wolfenden, R Anglian on the break down the wing for the Army.

Fus Bolton, RRF on the charge through the middle for the U23s.

Images – Army Rugby Union © K Fowke


Header and Featured Images – Army Rugby Union © K Fowke