The ARU Health & Safety Policy is contained in the ARU Policy book.
CO/OCs and Unit Rugby Officers should be aware of their health & safety responsibilities with regards to playing rugby some of which are detailed below:
- The current Army policy regarding the provision of pitchside medical cover for sports events is contained in the Statement of Army Policy on the Pitchside Medical Cover Required at Sporting Events (pdf 48kb) – please note that this policy is particularly pertinent to rugby union matches where the risk of injury is significantly higher than most other sports.
- Details and advice regarding rugby related health and safety issues can be found on in the RFU web site (www.rfu.com):
- General health issues can be found in their Player’s Health and Fitness sections.
- Tackling – All ARU clubs are urged to obtain a copy of the RFU publication/DVD ‘Tackling Safety’ which can be purchased from the RFU for £9.99.
- First Aid and First Aid Boxes – Details regarding First Aid issues can be found on the RFU’s First Aid page. First Aid Boxes content can be found in the ARU First Aid Kit Check List (pdf 27kb) it must be noted that once an item is used it must be replaced at the earliest opportunity prior to the next match at which it may be required.
- Risk assessments
- All clubs are reminded that it is the duty of the organising officer to ensure that a risk assessment is carried out and recorded prior to all rugby events in compliance with JSP 375 leaflets 11 and 23.
- In addition you are also to complete the ARU Rugby Union Match Safety Check List (pdf 25kb) which is to accompany the JSP Risk Assessment.
If you have any questions regarding Health and Safety at rugby matches contact Chris Fowke, ARU Secretary on firstname.lastname@example.org (tel: 94222 7080 or 01252 787080).